Monday, June 1, 2009

Hydrangeas, Visit, test 1 passed and Ticks

We've stayed busy around here. I'm struggling with my hydrangeas still. It has gotten increasingly hotter this week than last week and my hydrangeas are completely wilted and sad in the afternoon. I've been watching them today - they seem to start getting the direct sun at 4pm and until 6 or so. I'm trying to find someplace with absolutely zero afternoon sun to move them to, but the only spots I can seem to find already have mature plants (mostly azaleas) in them. I'm afraid if I start moving things around in this heat I'll end up killing them all! (But the hydrangeas may die with 3 months of this heat!)

My parents and little sister Aimee are coming to visit tomorrow and I can't wait to see them! Mom is bringing me some more plants and is hopefully going to help me come to some decisions.

Phil passed the first part of his boards! Praise the Lord! His second half is Thursday so please say a prayer for him if you think about it.

Another observation about life in the country - poison ivy is HORRIBLE (I've been covered in it for 2 weeks now and have finally started on steroids to get rid of it) and ticks are EVERYWHERE! In the last week I've found at least a half dozen in the house. I know that is partly because our dog comes inside, but thanks to his flea and tick protection, most of them have been dead. But I did find a live one crawling up our dishwasher yesterday and another one in the bottom of our laundry basket. YUCK! I hate ticks! I haven't had one on me yet, keeping my fingers crossed!

Sorry no photos this time...unless you want an up close shot of a tick or wilted hydrangeas :( House photos coming soon though!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I had the same problem with my hydrangea last year. It was new then like yours. It has been great this year...even read the other day that it is normal for hydrangeas to wilt in the afternoons. It also said it is better to water them deep. I assume this means longer slow watering rather than short burst with the spray nozzle.

Jennifer said...

Mine have taken a turn for the worse, too. They get filtered afternoon sun, and aren't recovering as well now that it's hotter. I'm going to try to water them through the summer and give them a year to settle in -- hope I don't kill them!

and I'm with you -- I really don't know where else they would go.

Debbie said...

congrats to Phil. I know he is so glad to be out of school.I love looking at your blog when I go to read Stacy's. The house and yard are just beautiful!!! Girl you are doing just great for a city girl...you could have fooled me!
Hope to see you both this fall in Auburn. Best wishes to you in you new home. Phil tell you sweet family hello for me.
Debbie (or as only Phil would say... STACY'S MOM)