Monday, February 14, 2011

Day 27: February 14th

Today I had one of those heart dropping moments that no mom wants to have. Ok, it really wasn't that bad, but at the time it felt bad to me! I was feeling really good about my parenting. I have been trying to get us eating healthier lately. We've switched to whole wheat/whole grain and I am trying to add more fruits and veggies into our diets. Emma Cate is a picky eater. She loves bread, but usually pushes away fruit and veggies and half of what we try to feed her. A lot of days she ends up eating a grilled cheese sandwich and as much of a jar of baby food fruit that she will eat for lunch. While the bread is whole wheat, I still felt like it wasn't a great lunch. So a friend let me borrow her cookbook, "Deceptively Delicious" where the author sneaks veggies into "safe" foods that her kids already love. One of her recipes was a grilled cheese sandwich with sweet potato puree mixed in. I didn't follow it exactly, but baked the sweet potato and then pureed it and spread it on the bread like you would mayo and then added the cheese.

Ok, here is where my awful mom moment happened. I was busy making this lunch and feeling so good about this new healthy push and Emma Cate lets out a cry from the other room. She had wandered into the living room and I wasn't worried, she wanders around the safe rooms all day, but when she cried I went to see what was wrong. That is when I saw the back door wide open. My heart was in my stomach. (I had opened the door for some fresh air and so the dogs could come in and out from the fenced in back yard while Emma Cate was napping.) I ran to the back door and there is Emma Cate on her belly in the dirt. The bad part is there are 3 brick steps leading down from the door to the ground. I don't know if she managed to crawl down them or if she fell, but she wasn't hurt. She only let out one cry and when I got to her she was smiling (and dirty). I felt horrible and have all day. She has a few scratches on her face - praise the Lord she wasn't really hurt.

Ok, so here are a few pictures from the day. You can see the faint red marks on her face from her fall :(

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Thank you to all of you who emailed me to let me know you want to keep reading! I was overwhelmed! I truly thought the blog was probably boring for everyone who didn't love Emma Cate since she is all I post about any more! If I didn't email you back, its just because I had 50+ emails to respond to today and I was overwhelmed. I'm going to try to set it up tonight and hope it works that you all can still read!

Happy Valentine's Day!

2 comments:

Julie said...

the first of many falls that she will make... glad she is ok. More importantly :) did she eat the grilled cheese sandwich?? My kids are all pretty picky and my oldest LOVES fruits, but won't touch veggies and she's still VERY healthy (thank the LORD). I've also got that cookbook, but have never made anything from it. Let me know how it goes. :)

Julie Bauer

Lindsay said...

J falls, on average, every 30 minutes. HARD. :-) I've heard about that book! Although, I'm doing good to get a cheese sandwich in the microwave....