Friday, October 30, 2009

Beautiful Dresses

I am continually amazed by the generosity and kindness of people in a small town. Yesterday a very sweet lady brought a beautiful handmade dress, bonnet and booties into the drug store that Phil's parents own for Emma Cate. The lady had been in the store one day when I was working right before we found out we were having a girl and she called back a few days later to find out what we were having so she could start crocheting. This picture does not accurately show the beautiful detail, so you'll just have to wait to see Emma Cate wearing them!


Here are the dresses we found in Atlanta. This one is going to be for her church dedication.




And this one will probably be her coming home dress unless we decide we have to have something pink for that!



Can you tell I love white and ecru? If you walked into my house you would be able to tell pretty quickly! And speaking of our house, here is the project we have been working on over the last week...curtains for the back doors! I think I've mentioned before, but we were having trouble finding a curtain rod long enough (it needed to be approx. 17 feet long!) that we could afford so we decided to make one. We used 2 10 foot lengths of metal conduit sprayed black and coated with two coats of spray poly to keep the paint from chipping and brackets and finials from the millworks department. The most expensive part of the project was the rings. I needed the black wooden rings with the little round hooks on them to hook the curtains through. And we needed approx. 56 of them...yikes! I had to buy them from Lowes in the window treatment department in packs of 7 so that sort of killed our under $20 goal, but the finished product looks great! The curtains don't quite reach the floor and we hung them as low as we could, but the wooden brackets above the doors limited us. I may take them down and shorten the hem so they will touch the floor, but the curtains are so well made, that will be a little time consuming.

I'm thrilled with how they turned out though and now can pull them closed over the doors for a little added privacy at night. Notice my little red rug too...I found that in Atlanta and while it was smaller than I had originally wanted, it was a great price and serves the purpose of keeping the dirt from the backyard out of the rest of our house!

Ok, looks like we are under a tornado warning so I better go check on the weather! Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

Mom said...

What beautiful dresses for a precious little angel coming to change all of our lives!

Your linen drapes look great! You and Phil were so smart to make your curtain rod.

Love you!

Mary Lindsey said...

Love the dresses Ash! Can't wait to see Emma Cate in them. Hope your having a good day!