Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Crochet Attempt, Jake Update and Great Grandmother

I bought some yarn and a crochet hook (and knitting needles) on Monday after our appointment and yesterday sat down with an online tutorial to see if I could teach myself how to crochet. I got a little tired of following the instructions about halfway through the cap so I'm not sure if it turned out right or not, but I was happy with the first attempt! The flower turned out a little large for it too...I think because I was using a larger yarn than the demonstration.

In other news, Jake seems to be feeling better each day! He says thank you to all who prayed for him!



We did have some sad news yesterday morning. Phil's great grandmother, Mary Gentry, passed away at the age of 112. She was the oldest woman in Alabama and one of the oldest in the U.S. While it is sad, especially for Phil's grandfather, her son, we know exactly where she is. At 112, she didn't know who we were, but she still sang "Jesus Loves Me" and told us Jesus was her best friend. I took this picture a few weeks ago while she drank her morning coffee. She LOVED her coffee and drank two cups every morning, making sure to turn it all the way up at the end to get every drop!

5 comments:

mom said...

Love your little crocheted cap with flower! Poor Jake looks thin. Hope he is feeling better each day. Phil, we're so sorry to hear of your loss of Great-Grandmother Gentry.

Confessions said...

What tutorial did you use? That hat is darling.

Stacy and John said...

Praying for yall's family. What a precious woman of God.

Makenzi said...

Wow...super impressed with the hat! Maybe I need to take up crochet. So sorry about Great-Grandmother Gentry, but what a long, fulfilling life!

kpmantooth said...

Love the picture with the coffee. Beautiful. Sounds like she drank in life the same way.... What a blessing for ALL the generations who got to have her in their lives.