Sunday, January 10, 2010

A Few Questions

I have a post coming soon about the the last week - my 26th birthday and a wonderful shower we had this weekend, but I have several pictures to take before I can post about it so it will probably be tomorrow. In the mean time, I do have a few questions for all of you experienced mothers out there. We did some shopping today trying to pick up the things we needed to be prepared since our little one is due in just a few short weeks and there were a few things we couldn't decide on.

1. What is the best option for diaper disposal? I've looked at the Diaper Genie and other systems like that, but it seems the refill bags are so expensive and a lot of reviews have complained about them breaking. I read one review that said they ended up just using a regular trash can with tightly sealed lid and put nasty diapers in ziplock bags and it was a lot cheaper. Does anyone have a method they love or hate?

2. What kind of thermometer do we need for an infant? That may sound like a silly question, but I realized the ear thermometer isn't really meant for infants. The idea of a rectal one sort of makes me squeamish. I saw one that is ear or forehead. Any suggestions?

3. Bottle recommendations? There are so many different kinds...a little overwhelming!

4. Several people have told me to get the Medela Pump In Style Breast Pump with Shoulder Bag. It is expensive, but I've heard it is worth the investment. I found it for significantly cheaper at www.lactationcare.com but since I've never heard of them, it made me a little nervous to buy there...anyone used them?

Any products you have really loved?

12 comments:

The Muncies said...

We did the Diaper Champ which uses regular kitchen trash bags. It worked well for several months but began to stink once K ate more solid foods :)

The quickest reading digital thermometer you can find for underarm/mouth so you're not waiting for it forever.

The Medela is the best for sure -- I borrowed both times and buy all of my own parts/tubing.

Hope that helps!

Mary Beth said...

Good questions! Here is my opinion, but not the gospel :-)
1. I do the diaper genie but I hate buy the refills. I didn't have a refill for a few days though so i used a trashcan with a lid and it STANK, the ziplock thing sounds like a good fix, though. I hadn't thought of that!
2. My sister found these strips that are stickers that you put in their armpit and just keep it there. That way it is always keeping up with the temp w/out having the be invasive. I haven't needed to use them yet, but next fever I'm going to try that.
3. I use Dr. Browns - lots of parts but I have been very happy. Caroline had no problems with gas bubbles when she bottle fed.
4.I have the Medela Pump in style and love it. Many people warned me not to go cheap on breast pumps so I didn't give anything else a try. Medela is what the hospital had and everyone said was the best.
If you plan on breastfeeding, Lansinoh pads were the best ones (for me). They were the most comfortable and did their job. I also liked Lansinoh milk storage bags.

One thing that I don't have, but have borrowed and will have for the next child is the Moby Wrap. They are an easy way to carry a child around. I like my baby bjorn, but the moby wrap was just so much more comfortable for my shoulders and lower back.

Good luck with all the baby shopping. It can be overwhelming, but you'll learn what fits with you! Lots of women have lots of opinions about what is best, just find your rhythm and style and it will work out great.

Katie said...

I used the diaper genie for the first few months and it works well until they start to eat a lot of solids.

A quick read ear/underarm/mouth - just quick!

I loved Dr. Brown's bottles too. There are a lot of parts but they seemed to help the gas and stuff so much better.

Medela pump in style is great. It just depends on how much you will be pumping if you want to invest that much. Most hospitals will rent them too.

But I agree with Mary Beth, you will find what works best for you.

Courtney said...

Hey Gentrys! So excited for y'all! We bought the Diaper Genie and actually ended up going back to the store a few weeks after Henry was born to buy the Diaper Champ because we hated the genie so much. Two positives with the Diaper Champ--you can use any 13 gallon regular trash bag, and you don't have to touch anything to deposit the diaper. Just my opinion, but we liked it so much better.

2. Most likely when you call the pediatrician...they are going to want to know the rectal temp. I still can't stand to take it that way (I take it underarm) so I only take his temp that way if I know they are going to ask for it. So I would suggest getting two normal digital thermometers (one to keep for rectal and one for underarm).

3. Looks like you are going to breastfeed from question #4...Henry had some trouble taking to a bottle until we found the Nuby bottles since it is more like breastfeeding (make sure you get 0 month slow flow).http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3372772&CAWELAID=299438286
My suggestion would be to only buy a small pack of whatever bottles you decide to try in case your baby doesn't take to them. We've only needed 2 since he just takes a bottle for church nursery and babysitters.

4. I've heard great things too! Honestly, I wish I would have purchased one. I really don't think you can go wrong with buying one. I know friends that have used them for baby #1, 2, and 3 so you can definitely get your money's worth. Plus, just look at how expensive formula is...it will definitely pay for itself in no time. I only bought a hand pump from Medela, and I haven't pumped that much, but I think I would have pumped more if I had the electric pump.

Jen said...

Hey Ashley, I don't know if you remember me, but we grew up going to Frazer together!

I just had a baby 9 months ago and we have always used the diaper champ. You can use regular trash bags and so far it has contained the smell.

Also, our pediatrician uses the thermometer that scans the forehead, so that's what we use too! Quick and easy!

Dr. Browns bottles are good for newborns, but it just got to be too many parts to wash! We use Avent now!

That is the pump I used and it worked so well!

There are {of course} many other little things that I would recommend, but that would be so overwhelming!!

--Jennifer {Littlepage} Dismukes

Courtney said...

I'm going to have to check out those strips that MB was taking about that sounds like a great thing to have on hand!

I also second what Mary Beth said about buying something to carry them around in...I could definitely have used a wrap especially for the newborn days!

Christi Clark said...

We did the Diaper Champ and loved it. It did start to stink with the poopies around 12 months old but with only 1-2 a day, we just threw those in the trash bin outside or put them in a diaper sack.

I HATE thermometers, but when I did use one we took the armpit temp. It isn't as accurate, but gives a pretty good reading. I might have to look into the strips with this one on the way.

I loved the AVENT bottles and Sarah did great with them, but I also had an AVENT pump so they went together. I have tons of bottles left and will probably use these although I have asked Daddy for a Medela pump ($$$) for this baby as well.

I second Mary Beth on the Moby Wrap. I used the Baby BJORN the first time around and it is great for a little older, but has little versatility. I don't know if I will go with a Moby, but I will definitely get some sort of sling wrap.

John and Brooke said...

1. We have the diaper genie elite. We love it. You don't have to touch it-it has a foot pedal to open. The bags are not that expensive. It is $6 for a refill and it probably lasts a month. Will has been eating solid food for a while now and we have never had the problem with it smelling.

2. At our hospital they sent us home with a rectal thermometer. I think it works the best. Babies squirm too much and so it is the most accurate reading. Whenever you take them to the doctor, they are going to take it rectally. It isn't bad. I thought it would be but it doesn't go in far at all (sorry that might have been a little bit too much information)

3. We used Dr. Browns bottles and loved them. There are a lot of parts to clean, but that is why we had the microwave sterilizer and just rinsed them and threw them in there. Will never had a problem with reflux, etc which they say Dr. Browns helps prevent.

4. John says that the Medela pump is by far the best money we ever spent. We bought it the day after we got home from the hospital and never looked back. I would be a little leary ordering it from an online retailer you have never heard of. You would never want to get one someone returned or something. I would just shell out the money. If you use it like I did 8 times a day at first, it was totally worth it :)
Also, Target sells all the stuff to go along with the Medela pump and they have large pumping bottles. They hold 8 or 10 oz I think as opposed to 5...I will definitely buy them next time. Another plus with the Dr. Browns bottles is they can screw in directly to your pumping stuff so you don't have to pump into a bottle and then pour it in another bottle. Less to clean.

And get a bottle warmer!!! If you pump at all, it takes way more time to warm it up under running warm water than sticking it in a warmer and pushing a button and waiting 2 minutes. I have had several friends not get one of these because they didn't think it was necessary and then call me to ask which kind to get. I just have the munchkin brand from Target and it has worked really well.

Christen said...

With Luke we started off with the Diaper Dekor system which was fine when he was an infant, but then began to stink really bad.
So, when we moved we bought a diaper genie, but I hated paying for the refills and a few months after Luke turned 1 it started to stink.
My mother-in-law found "scented baby diaper disposal" bags at the dollar store, there's 75 for $1, so we put the "stinky" diapers in those and then just put them in our regular trash can and we have never had a problem with smelling the dirty diapers since and it's soooo much cheaper. The 75 diaper bags last us over a month and we have 2 babies in diapers.

We always use just a regular cheap under the arm/tongue thermometer. I don't think I could use a rectal one! We were given an expensive ear thermometer before Luke was born, but it didn't give an accurate reading, and my sister-in-law (she's a pediatrician) said they will never give you an accurate reading.

The Medela pump was WELL worth the cost. I just bought mine at Babies R Us, but I had like a 10/15% off coupon.

We've used the Avent bottles with both Luke and Aubrey and they've worked great with both of them. I didn't want to use Dr. Brown's b/c of all the parts you have to wash.

laura.murphree said...

I use the Diaper Dekor. I really like it but of course I have only been using mine for 3 months. But it sounds like most end up smelling.
As far as bottles I use Avent and Evenflo...these seemed to work best to transition from nursing to the bottle.BTW, you will most likely not need different size nipples. The number ones are plenty.
Medela is a great pump and definitely worth it....of course pumping is not for everyone so if you are not sure if you will be completely committed you may want to rent one from the hospital (they do actually have good ones).
Good luck with everything. I cannot wait to see pictures of her.

leslie the young mother said...

Hey Ashley, you might not remember me from the AU alpha gam days. My name used to be Prouty but is now Steel. Anyway, congrats to y'all on your little cutie on the way! I've enjoyed following your blog and looking at your beautiful pictures.

I should have come out from behind the blog curtain a while back but never felt like I had anything to contribute.

I only jump in now because I think I may be able to help you get your pump for way less! I agree with everyone else. The Medela is awesome and you won't regret the money you spend on it. I work at this little baby boutique in St. Louis. The owner believes in breastfeeding so much that she sells the Medela pump in style advanced for $196. No joke. I think it's at cost. We have people coming in all.the.time from all over the place asking us if the price is for real. She's a rather big business, mostly over the internet. She invented a cloth diaper system that she's most known for but there are other great baby products that she sells as well.
The website is www.cottonbabies.com

She sells the Moby wrap - which I'm obsessed with and couldn't have survived without! Another awesome wrap that is great for older babies similar to the bjorn is the Ergo baby carrier. It's on the cotton babies website. What makes it great is that there is a waistband that helps distribute the weight instead of all of it being on your shoulders and upper back. I used it every day to walk my 3 miles when Graham was like 6 months old and hated his stroller. It can be worn on the back as well as the front and goes up to like 35 lbs so it's a great investment! Men love it too...

Anyway, long comment. But feel free to email me or something if you can't figure out the cottonbabies website. I know they have free shipping if it's over $75 or something. Hope that helps!

Anonymous said...

Here's my 2 cents! :)

1. Diaper Champ - you don't have to use the special bags. Any old garbage bag will work, and it's like $20. Once Emma Cate is on solids or formula you'll want to take the poopy one's outside asap to the big trash can- no matter what your system is.

2. I honestly have not used a thermometer much. we just got a cheep one that goes under his arm. It can be used as a rectal one, but I haven't braved that. :/

3. I have a lansinoh (sp?) double electric breast pump. Used it a ton- loved it. It's a closed system, very light/small, and customer service was wonderful when I needed replacement parts. Bout half the price of a medela. I know the medela is great though. The main thing about pumping is to NOT be stressed. Give yourself time to get used to it, in a calm situation. What I loved is the Medela comfort nursing bra. Great for the hospital, engorgement, and around the house. When you are regulated, target has soem great nursing tanks for like $16

4. I use MAMs bottles. That's just what J took. My only advice would be to not buy a lot of any brand until you konw what Emma Cate likes.