Friday, October 10, 2008

Adventures in Renovating or Nightmare of Renovating?

I'm leaning on the side of nightmare right now! After week one, it sounds like the news keeps getting worse and worse. I'm sitting at my desk at work trying really hard to keep from breaking down because I know if I start crying, I won't stop. So to all our wonderful friends who have been following us on this process, please pray for us! We are a little stressed! So, lets start with the bad news of the day first:

1. The moisture problem under the house has created a lot of mold...apparently so much mold under one of the bedrooms that most of the floor joists under that room are having to be replaced there and in several other places throughout the house...and they are only working on one side of the house right now, but what they can see from under the kitchen, it looks like it will be really bad too.

2. It looks like they may have to wait a few months to put down our hardwood floors because they have to make sure the moisture problem is fixed before they put down the new floors or they will buck up. This delay would be fine if the house was empty, but we have a sweet friend renting it right now and I'm not sure how he will feel about living in a house that doesn't have floors other than the sub floor.

3. They haven't started taking out the floors in the kitchen, master bedroom or master bath, but it looks like it is going to be pretty bad there too from what they can see under the house. If they have to take out the kitchen cabinets to replace the sub floor under them (I assume they will since they took out the cabinets in the guest bathroom), we may need to go ahead and replace the cabinets. I think I've mentioned before than there is a lot of water damage on some of the cabinets because they are melamine instead of solid wood and they warp when wet...so some of the more damaged ones, may fall apart if taken apart. While I would love new cabinets, that is definitely way more than we thought we would be spending right now!

4. We have no idea how much all of this is going to eventually cost! If we had insisted on getting a real inspection before we signed the papers on the house, they probably would have discovered all of this and the repairs would have been negotiated into the contract! I guess you live and learn right?

So the good news is...all of this can be fixed (and has to be fixed) and as my sweet mother-in-law said, "It's all going to be fixed and in 20 years none of this will matter" which is so true. We do plan, God willing, to raise our family in this home so it's worth it and we know that our God is faithful.

My wonderful mom was quoting scripture to me this morning on the phone while I was crying to her and she reminded me of a verse that I am going to hold tight to...That there is a reason all of this is happening and God will work all things to His glory.

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. Romans 8:28

It reminds me to that while these difficulties are stressful for us, there are so many people who are dealing with situations far more difficult than ours...people who have lost their jobs or spouses or are battling a horrible disease...we are so blessed! How dare I complain about something so trivial! Somehow through writing all of this out the Lord has made that clear to me. I feel like I should just delete the whole post and instead write "This is the day that the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it!" In all things, Lord, we give you thanks!

4 comments:

The Murphrees said...

That is definitely a nightmare. I will be praying for you. Hopefully, the bad news stops here. Keeping looking up and everything will turn out just the way it is supposed to.

The Dyer Family said...

have you ever seen the movie "the money pit"? maybe it can offer some comic relief that you can relate to! i think you can appreciate tom hanks' reaction to his home renovation nightmares!!!
good luck - this will all be a series of great stories to tell. plus, it could be worse - YOU could be living in it!

The Gentrys said...

Katie, that is too funny that you mentioned "The Money Pit"...my boss actually suggested it and we rented it last night...it was much needed comic relief!

The Dyer Family said...

oh good - it is one of my all time favorite movies, and quite possibly the greatest factor keeping me from making a massive move on this house (aside from the money....). instead we peck away at it bit by bit - new cabinets here, bathroom renovation there, etc. i'm not sure which method is worse!
good luck - i'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers. :)