We took advantage of the long weekend last weekend and went to our house to try to finish a few little projects and see the progress on the trim paint (really Phil just wanted to hunt one last time this season despite only having the use of one arm). We didn't end up doing much on the house (Phil had a lot of time in the woods) but we did finally finish one project that I was excited about - our dining room built-in cabinets.
The top cabinets finished! The bottom ones are finished too, but can't be put back in until the floors are stained and sealed.
They were originally white and I was worried about painting them because they are not solid wood rather melamine (the glossy white finish). We found some black spray paint that said it would bond to plastics, metal etc...without a primer so we thought that would be the easiest way for a quick change...wrong! We only purchased 4 cans of the paint at first and ran out very quickly. So the next time we went we brought 4 more cans and again ran out. Finally this time we came with 4 more cans and finished it with 3! Thank goodness!
I've had good luck with spray paint in the past so I'm not sure if it was just that this was not wood or what, but it really didn't adhere perfectly in some places. It didn't turn out perfect, but at least it is finished and I feel like once it has dishes on it, we won't really notice the flaws and it will suffice as our china cabinet for now. I'm really happy with how it turned out overall!
On another note, isn't this sofa precious! It is Erika's from Urban Grace Interiors. I love it! We were planning to order the remainer of the Pottery Barn sectional (you may remember, we found the first piece of it for super cheap at the outlet) but I'm falling in love with this sofa now and may be changing my mind. It is slipcovered (with a custom slipcover though so no constant tucking and pulling) which would be really great for pets and children. I love the box pleat skirt, but Phil says he hates that part!

Question for ya'll though, do you think this sofa would look good with our leather ottoman/coffee table and oriental rug or is it too casual? I really want our house to be comfortable, not formal. Any opinions?
4 comments:
The cabinets look really good!
I love your cabinets... I may have to ask for your spray painting advice. I have an old ugly table that has been painted and it looks terrible. SHould I try to strip it or just spray paint it. What kind of spray paint do you use? Also about the couch... I think it would look great with the rug and chair. We have a leather club chair that is Nate's chair and then a more casual couch and it turned out better than I thought. Just put some "in between" pillows and I think it is good. I love that couch too that she had posted yesterday, definitely looked it up immediately and put it in my files!See you this weekend!
I really loved her sofa and chairs. I wish I had thought of a slip cover before ordering my chair but i'm still excited about it coming in. I think the formality is in the fabric. Question, do you think her light linen cover would hold up with kids and large dogs??? I love white/light fabric but I never can seem to bite the bullet and order it for that reason. I must have things clean! :)
I love the black cabinets against the red walls! So much better than when they were white. Love the Rachel couch and slipcover & think it will go well with your other things. To answer Amanda's question about upholstery in light colors holding up to kids and pets--we raised Ashley and Ali on an off-white couch and it held up great for 10 years, because the fabric was treated with a stainguard. Whenever anything was spilled, I was able to wipe it up with a damp washcloth. I love the idea of slipcovers, however, 'cause you can treat any spots and wash the whole cover. That's actually what I'm doing with the off-white couch now, but my slipcover is not customized, so it is a royal pain to keep straight!
Post a Comment