Monday, April 6, 2009

Planting, Dining Room and Projects



Thursday morning my mom and I headed to our house to work in the yard for 2 days. I am so thankful to have her help! She knows exactly what needs to be done and since my thumb is far from green, she was a life saver.
One of her friends is a landscaper and offered to purchase our plants for us for cost. Another huge blessing! We planted 9 oakleaf hydrangeas, 7 nikko blue hydrangeas, 5 beautiful hostas and several other plants my mom brought from her yard. Two days of hard work in the yard and everything was planted.
The hostas we planted...now we need to decide what else to put in this bed!

You can't really see the plants, but we added 3 blue hydrangeas and 1 oakleaf around these trees.



We planted 4 more blue hydrangeas and 2 oakleaf hydrangeas in this bed (see the green plants in the front)


We planted three oakleaf hydrangeas in the back of this bed...they get to be approx 6 feet tall!

We made a stop on the way in Birmingham to decide on my sofas. Drum roll please...we decided on the slipcovered sofa and loveseat with the pleated skirt, but not in white! My mom was the final word on talking me out of the white. We did select a beautiful heavy linen that was a tan/white weave that is absolutely beautiful and looks like it will hide dirt extremely well since it is not a complete solid. Thank you for all of your comments! I am super excited about the decision and can't wait for them to be delivered!


We had a surprise on Friday when my dining chairs were delivered. I LOVE them and was thrilled that we were able to finish putting together the dining room. The main thing left to do is move the chandelier over so it is in the center of the table. It needs to be re-wired though since it is so old...when mom turned it on sparks flew everywhere and we ended up having to cut off the circuit breaker to the whole front of the house to keep from having an attic fire!

Dining Room Before (above) and Dining Room after...chandelier will be moved over the table (below)

The only furniture we had to buy for this room was the chairs. The table was built by my grandfather, the buffet was my parents and the cabinet was already there, we just painted it black. It was so much fun unwrapping our fine china that has stayed in the boxes since our wedding three years ago!


In our spare time, we also refinished this armoire that we are going to use as a tv cabinet and we added fabric panels to cover the backs of the mirrors. Now we just have to take out the center slat and attach it to one of the doors and secure the shelf for the tv.



Phil joined me on Friday and we spent the weekend leading jr. high kids in Disciple Now. I'm exhausted, but it was great to get to know the kids.
Countdown to move and graduation: 4 weeks from tomorrow!

7 comments:

Emily said...

Ashley-
I found your blog last week and have LOVED reading it. I can't believe all that you and Phil have done with your house! I saw your mention of your dining room chairs here. Did you get those at Bridges in downtown Birmingham? If so I have those same chairs and really love them. You guys are so handy - what a fun project to redo your house.
Emily Acton

Mom said...

It was a great time planting the flowers and playing with Tripp! He was so cute carrying sticks for us and helping dig holes for the plants! Phil, I left 6 wild turkey and 2 deer for you--managed not to hit them as I was leaving town! Wow! Love you both

Sarah said...

The dining room looks amazing! Love the buffet and table. AND so glad you decided on the pleated skirt couch...can't wait to see pictures!!!

The Murphrees said...

WOW! Everything looks amazing! I am so jealous that you are able to do all of this fabulous work to your house. Keep posting the pictures...one day I will post some too!

vanessa said...

I emailed you a couple of weeks ago about your chandelier and it looks great! Love the updates!

JBFerguson said...

Oh my goodness your house is gorgeous. I mean it is almost done. You guys have done such a great job. I am excited for that day where I can finally unpack my wedding china as well.

Ashley said...

I love all the before and after pictures of the house! Everything looks great. I am sure y'all are ready to get settled!