Saturday, January 16, 2010

Caution: These Images May Be Disturbing...they were for me!

No, we have not had a baby and I will not be posting graphic pictures of the delivery when we do! But these are pretty graphic/disgusting especially if you are a clean freak like me!

You all know we love our dog. Jake is part of our family and we treat him that way. So we have had to make some compromises and live with white hair in the house (very much against my clean freak nature), but we love him so much that it is a trade off we are willing to make.

With a baby soon to be arriving though, we decided it was time to invest in a better vacuum cleaner...we've dealt with the hair thus far, but the idea of our baby crawling around on the rug and getting white hair all over her bothered me a little more! I vacuum every day with the one we have. It was an inexpensive one that Phil had in his apartment in college, but we thought it did a decent job. I started reading about the Bissell Pet Hair Eraser and it seemed to get pretty good reviews for not a bad price so we decided to try it. It was on our doorstep 3 days later (with free shipping from Amazon).


We put it together last night and this morning when Phil was about to leave for work -yes, he has to work on Saturday this week :( - we decided to try it on the living room rug just to see if it got anything up. Now, I had just vacuumed the rug with our old vacuum either yesterday morning or Thursday night...can't remember which one, but it wasn't long ago. This was the dirt container after JUST THE RUG!

Yuck Yuck Yuck! I was horrified! I promptly emptied it and started again. I was able to get through the rest of the house before I had to empty it a second time. I guess the rug in the living room is our main traffic area, but still, that is pretty nasty! The colors in my rug look so vibrant now that they are clean!

So, if you have dogs (or cats) that spend much time inside and you need a good vacuum cleaner, I can highly recommend this one!

As for baby news, we are at 35 1/2 weeks now. Our babycenter.com email this week compared her size and weight to a Honeydew Melon. She should be over 5 lbs by now and running out of room very quickly in my crowded belly! I've been having a lot of really low pain under my belly, low back pain and continued with lots of Braxton Hicks contractions. I go back to the doctor on Tuesday so hopefully we will have made some progress!

And a HUGE thank you to all of you readers who left your comments / sent me emails about the different products that worked for you! I don't think I have had a chance to write back to each of you, but I really appreciated all of your help!

Happy Saturday! I'm determined to get some sewing projects done today, but it's only 8:30 am and I already feel like I need a nap...last night I was awake every hour from 12-5 having to try to readjust positions to attempt to get comfortable...I know it's probably the Lord's way of preparing me to get used to the lack of sleep for when Emma Cate arrives...those of you who have lived with me know I typically require a good 8 hours of sleep each night! I know that likely won't be happening for awhile after she is here :)

7 comments:

mom said...

Wow! I need one of those at my house with 2 cats and several visiting guests of the canine persuasion. My carpet shampooer also reveals disturbing evidence of all we've tracked in from the yard--the water it sucks up during cleaning is alarmingly similar to Mississippi River silt. Yuk!!!

(Come soon Emma Cate--your Grandma is ready to snuggle with you!)

Stacy and John said...

We have that vacuum, too! It is perfect for lab owners like us. Every time I empty it though I get really sick to my stomach just thinking of all that hair in my house! Glad you find one that you like. My Mom bought mine for me for my bday, and I couldn't be happier with it!

Emily said...

This is a really random question, but does your vacuum work well on hardwoods and tile too?

The Gentrys said...

Yes, the vacuum seems to work really well on hardwoods and tile too. Our house is completely hardwood and tile and other than the living room rug, we only have a few small rugs/mats and the dirt container was completely full again after I vacuumed the rest of the house. I did make sure to change it to the bare floor setting before I did hardwoods and tile.

Courtney said...

Sorry you are feeling uncomfortable...I know those last few weeks are so tough. I thought of something else that we really liked...a strollee or snap n go stroller frame. Great to keep in the trunk of the car so that I don't always have to carry that heavy carrier everywhere.

gillfamily said...

I know how uncomfortable you are. It is amazing how quickly you will feel like yourself again. There is a lot to be said for being allowed to sleep on your back!
Baby product- I would have gotten no sleep without my kiddopotamus swaddle blanket. Gracie loved to sleep swaddled but broke out of everything else. She slept in this until she was 4 months!!! Get several!

Savannah said...

Hey! When do you go back to the dr? Keep me posted! I hope you are getting more sleep!