Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Technology

In the last two days I have realized how much we depend on technology. On Sunday we stopped in Montgomery on our way home from the wedding because my grandmother was there and we wanted to visit with her. When we were almost back to Auburn I realized I left my cell phone in Montgomery. With gas prices as high as they are, we were not going to turn around, so I will be without a cell phone until tomorrow night when Phil has to go to Montgomery for work. Then yesterday when I got to work the server was down on our computer so I couldn't access any of my files. The internet went in and out all day so half the time I couldn't even access e-mail. I was completely lost. Everything I had been working on and needed to do yesterday was inaccessible.

It is strange to think about not having a computer or not having a cell phone although only a few short years ago, we didn't depend on these things like we do now. I remember when we got the internet at our house - It was around the time that "Titanic" came out because I remember looking up pictures of Leonardo DiCaprio and thinking he was so cute - I just looked that up and it says it was released in 1997 - only 11 years ago. My little sister (just turned 9) has been playing computer games and getting online practically since she was a toddler. She wanted an IPod for her birthday and I imagine before long, she and her friends will start getting cell phones. So strange. I got my cell phone when I turned 16 so I could have it in case of emergency when I was driving. Phil didn't get one until he was a sophomore in college. But now that we only have cell phones (no house phone) we really depend on them.

Thankfully I at least know Phil's phone number so if I really need him I can call him from work, but with most everyone else, they are either on speed dial or I just look them up in the phone. When Phil was a freshman and didn't have a cell phone, he kept a piece of paper filled with numbers in his wallet - I found it the other day and just had to laugh.

No comments: