Sunday, July 19, 2009

Preparing

"...my soul is downcast within me. Yet I call this to mind and therefore I have hope. Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness." Lamentations 3:20-23


Thank you for your thoughts and prayers this week. I know so many of you who have dogs and love them as much as we do, have completely understood how hard it is to lose them.

We realized this morning as we were getting ready for church that we have let the sadness of losing Tripp overshadow the excitement and blessing of the baby the Lord has blessed us with! We realized it really hasn't hit either one of us that we are pregnant! It started to sink in with the ultrasound on Tuesday, but then when this happened with Tripp, we have been so sad that it's been hard to think about anything else.

We realized though, that we don't have a clue as to what to expect in February! I know many of you are new parents and some have been for awhile. So please, give us advice! What do we need to do to be preparing for being parents? Is there a book we should be reading? We have Baby Wise, but hadn't planned to read that until closer to our due date as some have said it is overwhelming.

Please share your thoughts and advice with us...we need it! And we need something else to focus on too :) Thanks!

10 comments:

Mary Beth said...

I am so sorry for your loss! My heart broke for y'all.

A book I have loved is Secrets of the Baby Whisperer! She has tips for everything. Like how to be prepared for the hospital, to the first bath, to songs and games for a 6 month old. Also, the book What to Expect the First Year is super helpful.

The Muncies said...

I can't resist advice giving! :) I'm always in search of it! As far as baby books, babywise is great, but certainly more meaningful reading close to or after the baby arrives.

I would use this time to focus on the two of you as much as possible -- you two can easily get lost in the shuffle once babies come along. Some of our favorites: 5 love languages, love and respect, and power of a praying husband/wife. Soak up as much couple time as possible -- that doesn't vanish by any means, just harder to come by! :)

Michelle said...

I have been "stalking" your blog and feel led to leave a comment...
First, I have been married 14 years, 2 boys (7 & 5) and we always have had a dog in our household. We lost our two first dogs within 6 months of each other and it was so hard. Even with our children they continue to be a part of our family! Know that the hurt you feel for your loss is a true testament to the animal!!
Second, I totally agree with the Baby Whisperer by Tracy Hogg. Both of my children began sleeping through the night at 9 weeks. It is like BabyWise, but not as strict and she writes in a way that makes you feel like she is right there holding your hand.
As for now, I loved loved the Girlfriends Guide to Pregnancy. Not as scary as What to expect when you are expecting! Good luck and I look forward to keeping up with your progress!!!

Christen said...

So sorry to hear about Tripp.

I agree with Holly, take this time to focus on you and Phil. I've heard babymoons are a must...we kind of took ours right before I got pregnant with Luke.

I'm a huge babywise believer, Shealy found a baby wise blog, Chronicles of a Babywise Mom and it is fantastic! She write about every baby, toddler, & preschool topic you could think of. She has several posts that would be helpful for you during your pregnancy...there's one about the best toys, gear, etc. for babies, and her newborn summary posts would give you an idea of how a babywise schedule looks in real life.

John and Brooke said...

You can drive yourself crazy by trying to do too much preparing before the actual day...and I am convinced that you can't really be prepared (other than having the right gear) for a baby to come home with you. It just happens and you learn as you go!
I know others have said this but just enjoy this sweet precious time you have just being the two of you. I feel like John and I did but it is weird to think that we will never ever not have another person to think about...it is never just the two of us anymore. Definitely take a trip before the baby comes. We went to the beach in October and had a blast DOING NOTHING. We ate a lot, rented movies, napped, watched the sunset. Things that now will take careful planning to be able to do again :)
But Will brought a whole new love to us for him and for each other-so I know everyone always says-enjoy this time...its about to get crazy. and it does. but it is the best kind of crazy around!!

Shealy said...

Ashley,
My heart has been aching for y'all. I simply cannot imagine. Our dogs are members of our family, so I completely understand the hurt.
As with the baby...call me anytime - I could talk baby all day long. I agree with everybody - The Baby Whisperer is great and of course you know I love some Babywise (I don't follow it to a 't'...you just have to do what works for you and your baby. I know people say it, but it really does just click...seriously - call me!!

Emily said...

Hey, Ashley! We are in the same boat as you and Phil and taking all the advice we can get! A few book recommendations that are GREAT:

-Shepherding a Child's Heart (Tedd and Margy Tripp)

-Don't Make Me Count to Three! (Gloria Plowman)

-Teach Them Diligently (Lou Priolo)

These books are mainly for the spiritual health of your child, which, if you're like me, consumes a lot of my thoughts!

Babywise is good, but I've heard there's lots of exceptions (like if you have a colicky baby, for example).

Hope all goes well with your pregnancy and that you're not feeling too sick.

kpmantooth said...

Prepare by enjoying time together and that beautifully "put together" home you've created that is about to be invaded by less than chic decor, clutter, spots and stains.

Go to God's word about rearing children and develop a stronger understanding of His grace than ever before. (Read enough of these books listed here and you'll need more of His grace and encouragement for sure!)

Be prepared for parts to be harder than you can imagine and other parts to be easier...changes with each kid and with each family.

Enjoy your quiet times with God...it gets harder and harder to make that a priority.

Beve said...

Ashley - am so sorry about Tripper and so thrilled about Baby G! Am so impressed with your photography -- I don't have your email anymore so send me one so I can ask some specific questions.

Miss Beve

Ashley said...

Sign up on babycenter.com and they will email you every week with how the baby is developing. I couldn't believe how accurate it was. I would send them to my mom too. I still get the emails every week now on toddler development and it's still right on with everything.

Oh and I think I read somewhere before on your blog about the PBK cottontails bedding. I just got the new magazine and it's on sale....