For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast. Ephesians 2:8-9
Our daily lives are so busy, it isn't often that I have a large block to "soak in the Lord" as the speaker from our Bible study this week phrased it - although she reminded us that we really do have time if we make it (that our time is not our own, it is the Lords) but we choose how we fill it. She reminded us that we should ask the Lord what he wants us to be doing in what we consider "our time"...do we really need to turn on the TV to unwind? (I'm not saying I don't turn on the TV - you all know I can watch hours of Law and Order or CSI - but it made me think - is that what the Lord wants me to fill my thoughts with?)
It makes such a difference in my perspective and attitude when I am spending time with the Lord. For the last few weeks I've tried to find smaller ways to fill myself with him all day long. Because I love music, I started with that. I made a CD of a lot of my favorite praise songs and have kept it in my CD player in the car so every time I am in the car, I can sing His praises. You know how the last song you hear before you get out of the car in the morning tends to stick in your head all day - it works well here! Same with my IPOD - I've been bringing it with me to work so I can listen to the praise music while I work or even when I am at home cleaning the house.
I will praise you, O Lord, with all my heart; I will tell of all your wonders. I will be glad and rejoice in you; I will sing praise to your name, O Most High. Psalm 9:1-2
Phil also bought me a new study Bible in the New Living Translation. I had never read this translation but I love it because it really helps me to see passages that I have been reading my whole life as fresh and new. It has helped me to want to get into His Word more and really try to understand what He is telling us instead of just reading to check it off my list for the day (not literally, but you know what I mean).
Our speaker at Bible study this week also encouraged us to surrond ourselves with friends who don't just have the Christian title, but are striving to live for Christ and know Him more so we can encourage eachother and hold eachother accountable. I've been thinking about this a lot lately as we are getting closer to moving in the spring and leaving the church and Sunday school class here that we love. I know the Lord is faithful and will provide these friends.
She also encouraged us to ask the Lord to "show me my heart" because He knows our hearts and the desires of our hearts. Sometimes I find myself worrying that the desires of my heart are not what the Lord has planned for me, but I have to trust that if I am seeking His will, He will make my desires in line with His will and He will be faithful with the desires of my heart.
"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37:4
This post is really a mix of my thoughts, but it was what was on my heart today. I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend! Feel free to share any of the things you do in your daily life to help you to walk closer with the Lord!
2 comments:
Love to see the Lord working in your life and thank you for reminding me of these things too...it helps keep me focused as well. Happy soaking day to you.
Thank you for posting this!! I really am missing our bible study. I have joined a CBS bible study here, but it just isn't the same having that close knit group of girls to rely on for encouragement and accountability!! I miss you!
Post a Comment