Thursday, September 25, 2008

Pillows

The pillows are actually red and orange, but the flash made them look a little on the pink side...definitely not pink!

The Pottery Barn "Ogee" fabric that I loved and mentioned in a previous post went on sale so I decided to order 1 yard of it and make pillows myself. The fabric came in and I love it! I decided to try to make these pillows a little nicer than the ones I have made in the past and attempt to put cording around the edges. Since I only had one yard to work with, I bought white canvas for the back side of the pillows and to wrap the cording. It took a little extra time, but I think it was definitely worth the effort! Haven't attempted a zipper yet so it made it with a fold over closure on the back so the cover can be easily removed. I wish I had taken pictures of the whole process...it was interesting...my hands are covered with scratches from the pins I had holding it all together while I sewed...ouch!

My plan is that we will use these in the sunroom. I'm on the lookout for an inexpensive sofa with pull-out bed - preferably one that has a washable white fitted slipcover (I've seen some that I absolutely love in magazines with ruffles around the bottom, but I have no idea where they came from - if you know please let me know!) If we don't find something like that, we will use this love seat, but I would love to have something with a fold out bed so the room could double as a guest room for extra company.

Have a great Thursday!

5 comments:

Maryanna said...

Hey girl. Those look GREAT!!! I "learned" how to sew zippers Tuesday, and it was harder than I thought. Yikes. You did a good job, and I LOVE the fabric. Good thinking to do blank canvas on the back.

Anonymous said...

The pillows look beautiful! Making and adding the cording is not always easy. You did a great job, Ashley!

Krisan said...

I'm impressed - Very cute!

kpmantooth said...

I am so impressed. I made a pillow once for Jamie when we were first married...sweet and cheesy Christmas decoration and have to have someone else put the cording on...I was clueless! I can't wait to see your house someday...roadtrip!

Karen Isbell said...

The pillows look great! Doing piping is definitly a challenge! I'm glad you were able to get some fabric though! They look beautiful!