Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Pillows


So last night during the Bachelor (I have to admit that we do watch it even though it is complete trash), I decided to play with some of my new fabric. I made two of these pillows with the giraffe print on the front and the green textured fabric on the back. I love how they turned out. I know...very different from what I would normally pick out which also means they don't coordinate with any of the other pillows I have right now...guess we'll have to work on that too!
On another note, does anyone have any suggestions for where to purchase inexpensive curtain rods? I know Walmart has some for around $10 each, which is probably as cheap as I'm going to find, but we need them for every room in our house...like 16 rods...so we need cheap!

6 comments:

Amanda said...

kmart and walmart are the cheapest rods i have found. love your pillow. did you put a zipper in it? and i'm jealous you were wearing sleeveless shirts in orlando while the rest of us were freezing!

The Dyer Family said...

wal mart is the cheapest i have found (and i bought from them for our living room - not too bad looking, but the very cheap screws that came with def had to be replaced). but i've been thinking i can make some of my own with painted dowels and antique glass drawer pulls or door knobs, then place them with brackets. i might give it a shot for the new baby's room - i'm having a curtain rod dilemma in there!
and i love the pillows - i think you'd be surprised at how much that print will "match" with. sometimes a great animal print will make for a good neutral in any room.

Anonymous said...

I made rods by getting large closet type dowels from Home Depot and screwing in fence finials to each end. I spraypainted the entire thing brown (it works wonderfully just don't get the cheap paint) and everyone comments on them. I have very large windows which is why I resorted to making some myself. I believe my entire cost for 4 windows was less than $15 and I will never buy another professionally made curtain rod after saving the money this time...

Confessions said...

ok, a confession: long time reader, first time commenter... :)
your pillows are darling! about the rods- my sister has used large bamboo poles (i think she picked them up on the side of the road but i've seen them in crafty type places for not much). but i think you've come up with the cheapest solution...walmart. just do a room at a time. it won't be too overwhelming that way!

tag said...

Cute Ash! I have so much that I want to sew too and I need to just make myself do it! Good tactic to watch Bachelor at the same time- makes it less painful :)

Anonymous said...

i am glad we share that love! and that print is too cute! i swore i'd never do animal prints, and now i'm slowly falling for them. especially the snow leopard line at west elm.

i'm glad you asked about curtain rods because i am in the same predicament! i like the idea about using dowels. ikea (which i see you went to!) also has some fairly cheap rods, but probably not as cheap as walmart.