
Phil and I headed to Georgia to visit my grandad and his sweet wife for the weekend. We loaded up the car with all of the leftover wood from our hardwood floors along with the laminate piece we had peeled off the top of our island and set out to make a new butcher block top. My grandad is a wonderful carpenter...I believe I've posted before about the dining room table he made and gave to us, so we wanted to take the opportunity to learn from him in a small project of our own.



It really came together very quickly which was wonderful because we had more time just to visit. We also got a surprise visit from my aunt and uncle and several of my cousins that I rarely see. I posted some photos I took of the little girls on my other blog http://www.ashleygentryphotography.blogspot.com/.
We finished putting it all together and sanded down the edges, but the glue had not set all the way and the two boards in the middle started to separate a little bit. We decided it would be easier to fit in our SUV and transport home in two pieces anyway so we went ahead and broke it apart. We finished sanding it last night in our apartment and plan to stain it tonight...so more pictures to come! (Somehow in my effort to get some good pictures of my grandad, I failed to take any good ones of Phil working on the project! Even with one arm in a sling, he worked really hard on it! And we failed to get a good picture of us with Grandad and Miriam!)
Thank you Grandad and Miriam for a wonderful weekend! We need to do it more often!
1 comment:
Thank you for posting the pics and details of your weekend with Granddad. He is quite a wonderful man, esp. to be almost 80!
Post a Comment