Monday, February 23, 2009

Weekend Fun and More Projects

We had a busy but good weekend complete with an overnight visit from my little sister Aimee, lunch and a little shopping with my parents and dinner and more shopping with our friend Amy. We also made it to two Auburn sporting events...gymnastics on Friday night with my little sister and the women's basketball game yesterday afternoon.

In between, we managed to make all the curtain rods for our house. They are all assembled and ready to be painted. We wanted to paint them yesterday, but it was just too cold. Here is our first one. We made two of these for our bedroom windows.


The others I'll wait to show when they are painted and hung!

On Saturday our friend Amy wanted to go to Angel's Antiques to look for accessories for her house. I've been wanting to go out there for weeks now and we had a great time. Phil even went with us and wasn't completely bored! She picked up several things for her house and I found these old wooden spools that I just couldn't leave behind.
Now you'll have to use your imagination here, but I want to use them as bases for large candles on my dining room table (not the table below...our dining table for our house is a lot longer). Maybe chocolate brown or cream candles? I'll let you know how that turns out later!


Finally, last night I attempted to make custom sized feather inserts for throw pillows. I LOVE feather pillows! Love the way they look on the sofa vs. the batting filled ones...so much nicer...and I love the cozy look of lots of pillows! I wanted some smaller rectangular shaped feather pillows for the sofa and couldn't find the shape I wanted anywhere except for Pottery Barn and I really didn't want to pay $15-20 per insert. So, I picked up a king sized (20x36) down/feather pillow from Ross for $11 with the intention of making it into 3 small 12x20 pillows.


I wish I had taken pictures of the process...lots of feathers...it worked though! I just marked the size I wanted starting at one end, then cut the top half of the cover at my markings. Then I pushed the feathers back into the two ends and pinned the openings down and cut the bottom half. Then I just stitched up both seams. It was easy!


I only ended up making one 12x20 pillow because what was left (approx. 20x24) was so much fuller and softer than the regular 20x20 pillows I had on the sofa so I replaced one of the ones we use most with this one. It was an easy and cost saving project that I will definitely do again next time we need smaller pillows!
Happy Monday!

2 comments:

A & E Harwell said...

i love your curtains!! did you make those? and the spool idea is too cute!

Anonymous said...

You are so smart to come up with these great ideas and then actually complete your project quickly! Why can't I be more like you??? Will definitely try the feather pillow idea to replace my worn out ones on the couch.
love you!