Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Our Favorite Winter Soup

I've been meaning to post this recipe for awhile, but it is so easy I'm almost embarrassed! We LOVE this chicken tortilla soup and have it every few weeks - especially when it is cold. It is very filling and helps us get our vegetables! I was given the basics of this recipe by one of the grad students in the program I worked for at AU, but I've changed it a lot to fit the ingredients we have on hand and to add more vegetables.
So Here is the Recipe:
Combine the following 3 ingredients in 2 T extra virgin olive oil in a large pot and simmer until onion becomes transparent.
  • 1/3 cup chopped onion (this is what the recipe calls for, but I never measure how much I chop - I know I always add more than this though)
  • 1 minced jalapeno, seeds removed (I use pre-minced in a jar and just add a very heaping T)
  • 1 T minced garlic
Add the following, bring to a boil, then turn down the heat and simmer 30 minutes.
  • 48 oz container chicken broth
  • Shredded chicken - I usually use an already cooked rotisserie chicken and shred to bite sized pieces
  • Lg can of diced tomatoes (do not drain)
  • Lg or small can of stewed tomatoes (do not drain)
  • Lg can of whole kernel corn drained
  • Lg can of fresh cut green beans drained or we've also used chopped spinach
  • You can add any vegetables you would like or beans
  • 2 T Chili Powder
  • 1 T Cumin
  • 2 tsp oregano
  • I usually add some extra ground red pepper
  • salt and fresh ground black pepper

5 minutes before serving you can add fresh chopped cilantro if you have it and like the taste. We rarely have it and have found we prefer it without.

Serve hot over tortilla chips and shredded monterey jack cheese!


Tomorrow is our due date and we go back to see our doctor. Still scheduled to be induced next Tuesday if she doesn't come before then.

6 comments:

mom said...

soup sounds yummy! I'll have to try it. Can't wait to see you all very soon! Love you bunches

Courtney said...

yum that looks really great! Thanks for sharing...I'm going to try to make it very soon. Hope your dr appt goes great today!

Nikki said...

Yum. Justin will love this! I need to make this one!

The Langham's said...

Yummy! Judd used to always order this at Amersterdam's. I'll have to make it for him. Thanks for sharing.

Caroline Bobo said...

I love a yummy soup!! thanks for sharing! Steven will LOVE this!! We are excited for ya'll!! Can't wait to hear when she arrives ;)

Anonymous said...

I will need to make this soup very soon! Please know we're praying for you daily!