Friday, September 12, 2008

Stressing over this decision...

So I am really stressing over what floor to do in the kitchen. We called the guy that is putting in our hardwood just before he ordered the wood on Monday and told him to go ahead and order enough to do our sunroom hardwood too. Originally we were going to do brick floors in the kitchen, laundry and sunroom, but the more we research, the more we are thinking we are in way over our heads trying to do this ourselves. I know you are thinking...Ashley, you aren't moving in for 7 months...chill!...but he's already ordered the wood so if we decide just to take the easy way out and let him hardwood the kitchen floors too we need to call him now!

So what do you think...should we call him and just tell him to do the kitchen hardwood too? Or do we stick to our plan and keep researching how to put down the brick floors? Our major problem is it looks like we will have to rip up the vinyl flooring that is there right now and then lay backer board down before we will have a solid underlayment for the brick (and possibly have a contractor reinforce our floor joists...uggghh!) and the brick is more expensive uninstalled than the hardwood would be for him to install it...so more work and more money to do brick...is it worth it? I kept thinking I wanted to do the brick just to be different in the kitchen, but I've been looking at tons of beautiful pictures of kitchens and most seem to be hardwood.

I need advice please!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brick in the kitchen 100%.....other than that doesnt matter. YOU will be glad and Phil will be happy if you are. See you in a few hours!

Elizabeth said...

I will send you our real life brick/hardwood pictures this weekend I promise! We got our camera but have had some computer issues so I haven't been able to get pictures off of our camera.

Jennifer said...

it sounds like you really do have plenty of time -- keep doing some research and you can always change your mind and go back to hardwood.

kpmantooth said...

future baby knees and noggins would appreciate the hardwood.... :)

The Murphrees said...

I think brick would be gorgeous but hardwoods are pretty too. I guess I would say do whatever you will ultimately be most happy with. After seeing what all you are working on your house is going to be gorgeous either way.

The Dyer Family said...

I adore brick in the kitchen, no doubt - but do a little research on the give of wood vs. brick. with the amount of time you spend in there, would you be concerned with being on your feet, back strain, etc..... many cooks i know consider that kind of thing when it comes to flooring in a kitchen. and hard wood would certainly be more baby crawling friendly - something to consider as well.

The Gentrys said...

Thanks everyone! I didn't even think about hardwood being better for babies (you'd think I would have considering how baby obsessed I am!)

I am pretty sure we are going to switch to hardwood, but I am going to give myself the weekend to think about it so any other advice is appreciated!

It wouldn't be such a time issue except that we have a renter there and need to get all of this done at one time for his sake and our guys are scheduled to start mid October.

Please keep the advice coming!

Anonymous said...

How could we forget about the babies? My vote is definitely for the wood, with a Persian rug or two for good measure! It's a lot easier to keep clean too, which is important when your little one spends most of his time on the floor.

Amanda said...

I think both ideas a great. We do love our wood floors though. They hide dirt really well and are easy to keep clean. I also like the way rugs look on them. But, I understand your situation. Our floor is on crawl space and Taylor would have had to brace the joist too if we had decided on anything heavier. Plus the hardwood was less expensive in our case. That really helped make our decision. But we don't plan to be in our house that long, where as you are planning your long term home. Hard decisions.